Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Chana Masala

Guess what!? I made Indian food!!! I am so excited that I finally made my own. Amy's frozen dinners are delicious but they can get a bit pricy (and I don't have a microwave right now so there goes the quickness of a frozen dinner). I sorta kinda followed the recipe on the Post Punk Kitchen but I didn't have half the ingredients, or the urge to make my own spaghetti sauce after twelve hours of working retail so this is what I did:


Took a can of crushed tomatoes, added a generous sprinkle of ginger and cumin, threw in a few shakes of turmeric and ground cloves, a few shakes of cinnamon, some paprika in lieu of cayenne pepper which I do not own (I have the paprika from making chili). I added that all in to the tomatoes. Oh! Since I was somehow out of fresh garlic, I poured in a few shakes of garlic salt. I know, I know, the horror! But it tasted good.

As a side note, my grocery store only sells the big 28-oz can of crushed tomatoes but I only used half being that I was making the recipe for two.

Then I added in a can of chickpeas and some flavored tofu I found at Whole Foods--it was actually "masala" flavor which is what made me want to make Indian in the first place!!

Heated that up and boiled some jasmine rice.

Dinner is served! It was honestly delicious. Even Marc loved it!!!

Let me know if you try it or what your favorite Indian inspired dish is!


Kristi(E)